Skip to main content

Fuzzy was he?





You question a lot of things when you're single and dating.  Will I ever trust again? Will I ever get married again?  And are there any good guys left out there?

I am still very much in a place where I don't really see myself settling down anytime soon.  My head and heart are still reeling from a very messy separation which I continue to be dragged through, against all wishes.  Add two incredibly active little daughters to the mix, and you don't really have any time to work on healing yourself.

But as the clouds in my life are slowly being lifted, I most definitely see a blue sky up ahead full of opportunities and success in my personal life and in my career.  But when it comes to this future "man" in my life.....he is still a huge mystery.  I think I see him.......but he is fuzzy.  Charming, but still fuzzy.

The one thing I very often wonder, is how I will meet him? 

As many of you know, when it comes to meeting men and flirting, I am incredibly awkward and a tad naive.   As I've written about before, I have been completely unaware of guy friends who have liked me for years, but I would have never suspected it.  In fact, it wasn't until I separated from my husband, that suddenly 4 very close guy friends asked me out on dates.  I was shocked at my naivety and even more shocked that 3 out of these 4 men were at one point married to close friends of mine!


I have often been told that guys are either interested in me or just checking me out, but if it's too subtle, sadly, I won't notice at all.



Over the weekend, I went over to my neighbour's house for drinks.  A delightful couple who I have gotten to know well over the past year of living in my cute, new town-home.   They had invited over another couple, so the 5 of us sat until the wee hours of the morning drinking and sharing stories and laughing.  We were making fun of the fact that our street is nick-named "Lovers Lane" because of all the divorcees, when Natalie asked me about my cute neighbor.

"Oh.  Yeah.  He's super cute!  We chat all the time.  But I think he has a girlfriend." I said while taking a sip of my delicious vodka drink. 

"Aww, that's too bad" said Natalie's best friend Sonya.  

"I hear he has a great job.  Cute AND successful!"  said Natalie with a wink.

"I know right?  He came over with his daughters the other night for a play-date.  I thought that was nice."  I said while taking another sip.  
Someone needs to take this drink out of my hand immediately.

"Wait.  What??"  asked Natalie's husband.  "He came over?  To your house?"

"Yeah.  Why?"  I stopped drinking to look up and see smirks all over my new friend's faces.

"Leo!  He clearly likes you!"  yelled Sonya.

"No he doesn't!  He has a girlfriend!"  And even though I said the words myself, suddenly I didn't believe them.  

I have to admit.  It did seem strange that he showed up that evening unannounced....... looking very handsome I might add.......

But I still wasn't sure.  I needed a guy's perspective on this one.

I whipped my head towards Sonya's husband, "What do YOU think?  You're a guy....AND a Dad.   You would bring your kids over for a random playdate to your neighbor's house right?"

He started laughing.  "Leo.  The guy is into you.  For sure.  There's no question".

My eyes grew wide.  And I couldn't help my lips from forming a little smirk.  

Natalie laughed at my expression while taking the empty glass out of my hand and replacing it with another delicious Grey Goose concoction.




I'm still pretty confident that this cute neighbor of mine has a girlfriend, and until I confirm that he doesn't, this person is off-limits to me. 

But I did leave Natalie's house feeling giddy.

How I could not see that this man may possibly be interested is beyond me.  But that's the thing about me.  I would never want to assume something and then be disappointed.  I'd rather be slightly pessimistic and naive than be wanting something that might never be.


I walked the short distance to my home close to 2 o'clock in the morning.  My head was spinning from the vodka drinks that Natalie "forced" me to have.

But somehow I managed to get home, wash my face, throw on some pj's and climb into bed.

I thought of my fabulous evening with some hilarious and great new friends. 

The vodka drinks had caused my thoughts to be a little blurry.


But I couldn't help falling asleep with a smirk on my face.......thinking of a man ......


........who appeared to be a little less fuzzy ;)






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This. Is. London.

The year was 2000.   I was 24 years old. I had a huge job in a pharmaceutical company and was quickly heading up the corporate ladder.     During the week I busted my ass at work, which meant I made the rich corporate big wigs even richer (insert eye roll here).   It was very stressful but I worked damn hard every day to prove myself.   But on the weekends, well….. the weekends were a different story.   The weekends were my escape.     After university, my best friends and I quickly became infatuated with the Toronto nightclub scene.   It was the perfect escape for us.   The music, the people, the clothes, the dancing…..it was all so grand, so loud and so fun.    Completely the opposite of our corporate lives. We just craved it all the time.   We couldn’t get enough! You can imagine that going back to work on Monday was just awful. Not only was my body still filled with Red Bull and Vodka, but I swear that I could still feel the pumping of the music’s ba

Standing in the Dark.

“Are you sitting comfortably??   ….then we’ll begin.” Song:    It Doesn’t Really Matter. Artist:   Platinum Blonde. It was a quiet afternoon at the cottage.  Lola was reading on the hammock outside and Molly and I were coloring at the kitchen table. My cousin Julie suddenly barged in.  “Do you know who’s playing in town tonight??” she announced. Molly and I looked up startled. Julie yelled, “PLATINUM BLONDE!!” I gasped and dropped my fuschia-coloured crayon. Next to Guns N’ Roses, Platinum Blonde was a close second on my favorite bands list.   Songs like Standing in the Dark , It Doesn’t Really Matter and Situation Critical  were the theme songs of my youth as I regularly blasted them on my boom box in the 80's. I couldn’t believe that this iconic band would be playing in our tiny town of Haliburton!?  I could only hope that my children would be so kind as to attend

Remember when you used to blog?

"Remember when you used to blog?  Those were the days....." This is what a dear old friend recently wrote to me on Facebook.   I was shocked.  Shocked that this person who I respected and liked so much even read my blog, or even knew that I had one.  And incredibly humbled and honoured that he took the time to send me that simple little line. I stared at the computer and re-read his words over and over again.  His comment had sent a wave of emotions running through me. And I'm sure he had no idea, but he had said exactly what I had been feeling for the past year and a half.   I must have re-read that sentence 20 or even 30 times.  And when I finally felt l like I had tortured myself enough,  I closed my eyes, took a deep  breath, lifted my head, put my hands on my keyboard.........and starting writing.   Again. -------------------------------------------------------------- Writing had always been a source of healing for me.  Since I was a little girl, I h